Jul 4, 2011

Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs

Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs

Series: Fins, book #1
Next book in series: Fins Are Forever
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Release Date: June 1, 2010
Hardcover: 304 Pages
Age Group: Young Adult
Buy: Amazon
Add to Goodreads
Source: Library
Challenge: Support Your Local Library
Overall: 5/5


Lily Sanderson has a secret, and it’s not that she has a huge crush on gorgeous swimming god Brody Bennett, who makes her heart beat flipper-fast. Unrequited love is hard enough when you’re a normal teenage girl, but when you’re half human, half mermaid like Lily, there’s no such thing as a simple crush.

Lily’s mermaid identity is a secret that can’t get out, since she’s not just any mermaid – she’s a Thalassinian princess. When Lily found out three years ago that her mother was actually a human, she finally realized why she didn’t feel quite at home in Thalassinia, and she’s been living on land and going to Seaview high school ever since, hoping to find where she truly belongs. Sure, land has its problems – like her obnoxious, biker boy neighbor Quince Fletcher – but it has that one major perk – Brody. The problem is, mermaids aren’t really the casual dating type – when they “bond,” it’s for life.

When Lily’s attempt to win Brody’s love leads to a tsunami-sized case of mistaken identity, she is in for a tidal wave of relationship drama, and she finds out, quick as a tailfin flick, that happily-ever-after never sails quite as smoothly as you planned.

First Paragraph: Water calms me. It's like chocolate or hot tea or dulce de leche ice cream. After a rotten day, I lock the bathroom door, fill Aunt Rachel's old-timey tub with steaming water and bath salts, and then sink into a world where my problems melt away.

This was such a cute, fast read! I didn't want to put it down! After finishing XVI I needed a non-serious book to read, and this was perfect! I hate that I waited so long to read this, but at the same time it was the perfect time to read it. 
Definitely a summer read. 

This is my first Tera Lynn Child's book, but if I'm correct I think all of her books might be on my to-read list. I will definitely be checking those out soon. The writing flowed well and I read through it pretty quickly. 

I love that Lily already knew she was a mermaid. A lot of books nowadays have protagonists that have to find out who they are, which there is nothing wrong with them but this was just unique and fresh. Lily was a great protagonist, you would think she'd be stuck up and everything being royalty, but that wasn't the case with her. She had just as many problems as the regular human kids: insecurity, frizzy hair, swooning over a guy that is out of your lead, and much more. 

I didn't like Brody very much, I don't see how she had a crush on him. But Quincy on the other hand? He's a keeper!

The book is a little predictable at times, but doesn't really take away from the story. And on another note, that has nothing to do with the story, I love the wave design at the beginning of each chapter.

Overall, it was a great book to read. I am looking forward to reading the second book, Fins Are Forever! Which, by the way, was released on June 28th! I'm going crazy knowing it's published and not being able to get it yet. 

 Cover: Is absolutely gorgeous! Love the colors. And love the make-up! Very mermaid-ish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...