Mar 7, 2011

Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton

Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton


Series: Angelfire, book #1
Next book in series: Wings of the Wicked
Publisher: Harperteen/Katherine Tegen Books
Release Date: February 15, 2011
Hardcover: 464 pages
Age Group: Young Adult
Buy: Amazon
Add to Goodreads
Source: HarpercollinsNetgalley
Challenge: Debut Author, A-Z ReadingSupport Your Local Library350 Page Book
Overall: 5/5
When seventeen-year-old Ellie starts seeing reapers - monstrous creatures who devour humans and send their souls to Hell - she finds herself on the front lines of a supernatural war between archangels and the Fallen and faced with the possible destruction of her soul. A mysterious boy named Will reveals she is the reincarnation of an ancient warrior, the only one capable of wielding swords of angelfire to fight the reapers, and he is an immortal sworn to protect her in battle. Now that Ellie's powers have been awakened, a powerful reaper called Bastian has come forward to challenge her. He has employed a fierce assassin to eliminate her - an assassin who has already killed her once. While balancing her dwindling social life and reaper-hunting duties, she and Will discover Bastian is searching for a dormant creature believed to be a true soul eaper. Bastian plans to use this weapon to ignite the End of Days and to destroy Ellie's soul, ending her rebirth cycle forever. Now, she must face an army of Bastian's most frightening reapers, prevent the soul reaper from consuming her soul, and uncover the secrets of her past lives - including truths that may be too frightening to remember.
First Paragraph: I stared out the classroom window and longed for freedom, wanting to be anywhere in theworld other than gaping up at my economics teacher like the rest of my classmates. The last time I had listened to him, Mr. Meyer had been lecturing about fiscal policy, and that was when he'd lost me. My eyes rolled over to my best friend, Kate Green, who was doodling intricate flowers all over her notes and looked like she was thoroughly entertaining herself. Meanwhile, I was reduced to staring at the wiry, gray chest hair puffing out at the collar of Mr. Meyer's polo shirt like overgrown steel wool and wondering whether he'd ever considered waxing.


Angelfire was just wow. It was very unique and completely different from most young adult books. I mean, Angels have been making it's way to the top lately in the young adult publishing industry, but this is more than just angels! There are grim reapers! And not your typical creepy guy in a black hooded cloak with a scythe. Moulton completely created her own version of the grim reapers, making them all types of creepy creatures that go bump in the night.


She kept Ellie's world much like our own, but added a world that co-existed with the world called the Grim. Humans (Unless they were special psychics, or Ellie.) couldn't see the Grim or any of Grim's creatures.  


And speaking of those Grim creatures, there are some awesome fight scenes in this book. Moulton really knows how to write a kick-ass fight scene! Plus, her description is just amazing anyway. 


I had a few issues reading this book, but it isn't Moulton's fault. It's just because I read this on Netgalley and I'm still not entirely use to reading books on the computer. I like having an actual copy in my hands. I can enjoy them a lot more and I know I would have been in love with this book more than I already am if I had read it through a physical copy. This is my second-ever book that I've read on the computer.  


I have a love/hate relationship with Ellie's character. She's awesome and kick-ass, but at the same time she's annoying. The bad thing is, I can't really explain the full reason of why she's annoying. I guess you'd have to read it for yourself and see if you find her annoying as well. It didn't take away from the fact, though, that she's a pretty strong character and seemed real to me. I really felt bad for her about her bad luck with her car and then her dad issues. He was a real jerk! 


I also really, really, really loved Will! (How can you not? Seriously?) The only thing that bugged me was that he'd do completely ANYTHING for Ellie. I mean, yeah, I like guys who car enough about the girl they love that they'd do anything for them. But there is a line you have to draw somewhere. When he said some of the things he did, he just sounded downright pitiful and unbelievable. But other than those little moments, I loved him. If there was a way to ever see him, I'd so run up to him and give him a hug. Then I'd go cuddle with my husband, ha ha. 


I also really liked what Moulton did with the romance in this book. :) You can see the attraction and love Ellie and Will have for each other, but they don't really do anything about it for a long, long time. :) Which really bugged me while reading it because I really wanted them to get together and the moments where it looked like they were, and didn't, it drove me NUTS! But it bugged me/drove me nuts in a good way. 


This kind of reminded me a little of the anime show Blood Plus. Don't ask me how, it just did. For some strange reason. It's nothing really alike. But I love Blood Plus, so it's cool. :) 


I guess you would just have to watch the show to maybe kind of understand. I don't know. 


But overall, this was a great debut book! Major brownie points for Moulton! This was a great start to a new series and I can't wait until the sequel comes out! I'll be eagerly counting down the days to the release date. Which at the moment all I know of the release date is that it will be published in 2012. Boo!


I recommend this book to anyone who wants to read a great debut with a unique story of angels and grim reapers. :)


Cover: I really like the cover. The model on the front fits Ellie's description perfectly and I love her outfit! The mist and the black birds in the background just makes the cover looks so...paranormal! The jacket art and design is by Joel Tippie and the jacket photograph is by Amber Gray.

3 comments:

  1. I keep hearing about the awesome fight scenes!

    It's on my Nook, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I will eventually :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is on my list for debuts. I'm going to get ahold of it soon because it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I agree, I don't really know why, but at times Ellie seemed a bit off to me too... but overall, awesome. :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...