Apr 11, 2011

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins


Series: The Hunger Games, book #2
Read my review for The Hunger Games.
Next Book in Series: Mockingjay
Publisher:  Scholastic Press
Release Date: September 1, 2009
Hardcover: 391 Pages
Age Group: Young Adult
Buy: Amazon
Add to Goodreads
Source: Bought
Challenge: A to ZOff the Shelf,  350 Page Book
Overall: 5/5
Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark won the annual competition described in Hunger Games, but the aftermath leaves these victors with no sense of triumph. Instead, they have become the poster boys for a rebellion that they never planned to lead. That new, unwanted status puts them in the bull's-eye for merciless revenge by The Capitol.
First Paragraph: I clasp the flask between my hands even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air. My muscles are clenched tight against the cold. If a pack of wild dogs were to appear at this moment, the odds of scaling a tree before they attacked are not in my favor. I should get up, move around, and work the stiffness from my limbs. But instead I sit, as  motionless as the rock beneath me, while the dawns begins to lighten the woods. I can't fight the sun. I can only watch helplessly as it drags me into a day that that I've been dreading for months.  


Even though Catching Fire wasn't as good as The Hunger Games, it is still a favorite of mine and a great sequel to The Hunger Games. I was worried, at first, that I wouldn't be able to jump back into the book because I wasn't really sure what could possibly go on in this book without Katniss and Peeta in the game anymore and just the fact that after reading The Hunger Games  I had VERY high expectations about it's sequel.


I think this possibly might be my all-time favorite series now. But then I start thinking about all my other top favorite series and can't possibly choose.


Catching Fire got so many reactions out of me, which a truly great book always does. I screamed and wanted to throw the book across the room so many times due to some of the events that happened. I was hit in the face so many times because I wasn't expecting the events to happen. Which I've always loved about these books because I've never been able to guess what would happen next.


You can see that Katniss has grown a lot since being in the Hunger Games and you get to see the effect that it has had on her. Even though Katniss annoys me at times with the whole Peeta situation, I still love her as a main character.


Overall, I absolutely loved this book. But absolutely HATE the cliffhanger at the end. I own the first two books, but don't have the last one yet, sadly. I went to put it on hold, being very happy I was going to be going to the library the next day, but to find that ALL 32 copies of the book that the library systems in my town has, were all UNAVAILABLE. I put it on hold and I'm currently 28 on the list to get it. WHY?!


I recommend this to everyone. Read it!


Cover: Even though I absolutely love this series, the covers are on my top favorite lists. Though I love that they fit the storyline. Book design is by Elizabeth B. Parisi

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh I loved this book too...can't wait to read Mockingjay! Luckily my sis-in-law is reading it and I get to borrow it when she's done!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...