Aug 25, 2011

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Series: --
Next Book in Series: --
Publisher: Razorbill
Release Date: June 14, 2011
Paperback: 336 pages
Age Group: Young Adult
Buy: Amazon
Source: Book Divas
Challenge: none
Overall: 5/5
Summary                                
Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker—his classmate and crush—who committed suicide two weeks earlier.

On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he’ll find out how he made the list.

Through Hannah and Clay’s dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers. 

First Paragraph                                                                              

“Sir?” she repeats. “How soon do you want it to get there?”
My Review                                                                                     
Wow. Tell me again why I waited so long to read this?? I’ve had this on my reading list for so long, but never found the chance until now to read it.  And that is only because the new paperback copy was on the Book Divas reviewers list and it got sent to me after I requested it.


Thirteen Reasons Why is so haunting and beautiful! And utterly devastating. It’s one of those books that embeds itself into your mind and doesn’t let you forget about it. It really shows cause and effect; how one person doing something horrible to someone can create a whole cycle of things that could end very, very badly.



I cried so many times in this book. I wish I would have read this a long time ago when I, myself, was in a bad stage of my life, thinking about what it would be like if I wasn't in the world anymore. I don’t like to talk about it much because I don’t like to think back to those times, but as I was reading this I was telling myself, “Wow, that could have been me.” Not the whole tape thing, but you know what I mean.

I think if I would of read this a lot sooner, it would of helped a lot back in those days.  But anyway, I think everyone should read this. No matter whom you are. I think it will inspire a little part in everyone.  It’ll inspire you to be a little nicer, or maybe to think about the effect of something you do may have on someone, or maybe, hopefully,  to let you know that you always have someone who loves you, even if they don’t tell you or show it.

Also, if you have any thoughts you would like to share about how this story may have changed your life, please visit 13RWProject.com.
If you, or someone you know, are having thoughts about hurting yourself or committing suicide, please seek out help. Everyone has something to live for. Even if you can't see it.  Please call 1-800-274-TALK (8255). It's a free, 24-hour hotline available to anyone in a suicidal crisis. If you'd like to learn more about the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, please go here

Just remember that one smile, one hug, or even one compliment can bring someone back. If you can't say anything nice, don't say it at all. You never know when someone is teetering on the edge of the cliff. One bad   word can send them flying off.
Cover Love                                                                                     
I can't figure out which cover I like better. The hardcover or the paperback. I really like the paperback, but it's more silver and the hardcover has more of the scenery in the background, if that makes sense. I know it may not look like it, but after reading the book, it does fit well with the story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...