Sep 2, 2011

Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have) by Sarah Mlynowski

Ten Things We Did (and probably shouldn't have) 
by Sarah Mlynowski
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: June 7, 2011
Hardcover: 368 pages
Age Group: Young Adult
Buy: Amazon
Source: library
Challenge: Support Your Local Library350 Page
Overall: 5 star rating

2 girls + 3 guys + 1 house – parents = 10 things April and her friends did that they (definitely, maybe, probably) shouldn't have.
If given the opportunity, what sixteen-year-old wouldn't jump at the chance to move in with a friend and live parent-free? Although maybe "opportunity" isn't the right word, since April had to tell her dad a tiny little untruth to make it happen (see #1: "Lied to Our Parents"). But she and her housemate Vi are totally responsible and able to take care of themselves. How they ended up "Skipping School" (#3), "Throwing a Crazy Party" (#8), "Buying a Hot Tub" (#4), and, um, "Harboring a Fugitive" (#7) at all is kind of a mystery to them.
In this hilarious and bittersweet tale, Sarah Mlynowski mines the heart and mind of a girl on her own for the first time. To get through the year, April will have to juggle a love triangle, learn to do her own laundry, and accept that her carefully constructed world just might be falling apart . . . one thing-she-shouldn't-have-done at a time.

This is my first book by Mlynowski. I have been wanting to read a book by her for a while, I have always heard great things about her books including this one. So when I found it at the library I happily grabbed it and brought it home with me. When I finally got around to reading it, it didn't disappoint me. 

Ten Things We Did absolutely rocks. It was a very fun and cute book and the writing kept you flying through the pages. When I first read the summary, I thought "How cool would that of been when I was a teen?!" I would have LOVED to live with a friend, have no parents around, and have money deposited into my account at the beginning of each month. I mean, what teenager doesn't? That's the ultimate dream, right?

The characters were really developed and fun to read about. April was a really fun main character. I think the only person who bugged me and I didn't really connect with or care much about was Noah. I would take Hudson's side any day. Loved how he was always there when April needed him. *swoon* 

Overall, this was a very fun book to read. If you want something light and fun to read this is definitely a book for you. I greatly enjoyed this book and will be looking forward to reading it again in the future. I'll be checking out more of Mlynowski's books soon. 

And isn't that cover gorgeous?! Would love to have it on my shelf. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...