Nov 10, 2011

Abandon, by Meg Cabot

(Abandon, #1)
Publisher: Point
Release Date: April 26, 2011
Hardcover: 304 pages
Age Group: Young Adult
Buy: Amazon
Source: Library
Rating: 4 stars
Shelf WorthyRecommendTo learn more about my rating badges, click here!
Though she tries returning to the life she knew before the accident, Pierce can't help but feel at once a part of this world, and apart from it. Yet she's never alone . . . because someone is always watching her. Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back.

But now she's moved to a new town. Maybe at her new school, she can start fresh. Maybe she can stop feeling so afraid.

Only she can't. Because even here, he finds her. That's how desperately he wants her back. She knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven, yet she can't stay away... especially since he always appears when she least expects it, but exactly when she needs him most.

But if she lets herself fall any further, she may just find herself back in the one place she most fears: the Underworld.


First off, again, this is Meg Cabot. I always know I'm going to like a book by her, because hello, she's awesome. This book didn't disappoint. I mean, I didn't like it AS much as I thought I would. But I still really liked it and I'm looking forward to it's sequel.

When I realized this book was set in Florida, I was ecstatic. I live in Florida myself, but in the upper area of the state. My mother-in-law, however, lives in the Keys, where the story is set. Now I can't wait to go back down and visit her so I can go to the cemetery that Pierce goes to in the book. I didn't realize that Isla Huesos was Key West. I thought it was just some other island that was made up for the novel.

I love the descriptions in this book. She get's the Florida weather right down to the tiniest detail. Especially with the humidity! About it being like soup when you walk out, yes, that is exactly how to describe it. I've always found it hard to describe it, but she has the perfect way. And I'm not going to lie, I will definitely be using that when someone asks me to describe the humidity here.

Since this book was basically the set up for the rest of the trilogy, I didn't get into it right away. It was mostly told in flashbacks. Stuff that have already happened and she was just telling you about it. Giving you the back story. Which I am very thankful for. =) Towards the end I really got into it and that shows that the next book will be loads better.

I love how this is kind of based on the myth of Hades and Persephone. Reading this really makes me want to go back and re-read the myth and go slower this time. I love mythology, so I'm really liking this new YA trend of mythological books. =)

Overall, I really liked this book. You can never go wrong with Meg Cabot. This is very different from the rest of her novels, somewhat a bit darker. If you are a fan of Meg Cabot and/or a fan of Greek mythology, you don't want to miss out on this book.

The second book in the series is called Underworld. It will be released in May 2012. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...