Dec 20, 2011

Tempest Rising, by Tracy Deebs

Tempest Rising, by Tracy Deebs
(Tempest, #1)
Publisher: Walker Books for Young Readers
Release Date: May 10, 2011
Hardcover: 352
Age Group: Young Adult
Buy: Amazon
Source: Library
Challenge: Debut Author, Support Your Local Library, 350 page
Rating: 4 stars
Shelf WorthyRecommendTo learn more about my rating badges, click here!
Tempest Maguire wants nothing more than to surf the killer waves near her California home; continue her steady relationship with her boyfriend, Mark; and take care of her brothers and surfer dad. But Tempest is half mermaid, and as her seventeenth birthday approaches, she will have to decide whether to remain on land or give herself to the ocean like her mother. The pull of the water becomes as insistent as her attraction to Kai, a gorgeous surfer whose uncanny abilities hint at an otherworldly identity as well. And when Tempest does finally give in to the water's temptation and enters a fantastical underwater world, she finds that a larger destiny awaits her-and that the entire ocean's future hangs in the balance.
I really, really liked this book. It was fun to read and very refreshing. I was hooked from the very beginning with Tempest's mother's letter. It was very intriguing! I wanted to read this book from the start when I saw it on the debut author list. The cover is gorgeous and I'm a sucker for mermaid books. I've always loved mermaids. The Little Mermaid used to be one of my favorite movies when I was little(Still love! Ha!) and though the last couple of years I haven't really thought much of mermaids, they've always had a place in my heart. 


I loved the characters. Though I have to admit, Tempest annoyed me a bit throughout the novel. It was more like "I can't believe you did that!" annoyance. But I still loved her. Plus, she knows how to surf! That has been on my list of things to learn how to do before I die. But I'm kind of afraid to even begin to try and surf. I also like how she has more guy friends than girl friends. That's how I've always been. I have my group of girl friends, but sometimes I get along better with guys. You don't really see that much in books, so I was glad to see it.


When Kona showed up, I didn't really like how Tempest instantly got all weird around him, but after finishing the book I realize why. But it still bugged me a little bit. But that's one of the only things that bugged me. I did love Kona though. He's weird, but really cool and I'm totally Team Kona! =D 


One more thing was the deal with Tempest's mother. The way everything happened so suddenly. I wish Tempest would of had a little more time with her, some sort of closure or something. It would of been nice and I know in that situation I would of wanted some sort of closure. (I really want to call my mom and tell her I love her right now, ha! Though we've had some hard times through my teen years!)

I actually kind of liked the evil sea witch in here (Nope, not Ursula, sorry! But that's a good thing.) even though she was so mean and just evil! But all her power intrigued me! Also, the mythology in this book and the different types of species that is half human just like mermaids was a really great add on. Like Kona! (I'm not going to tell you what he is!)

Overall, the writing sucked you in, like all good books do. I can't wait for the sequel. That ending made me want to find out what happens after that! I love all the descriptions used for being underwater, it really made everything that much more believable and I felt like I was a mermaid! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...