Apr 19, 2012

The Vespertine, by Saundra Mitchell

The Vespertine, by Saundra Mitchell
(The Vespertine, #1)
Author Info:Website | Twitter | Youtube
Publisher: Harcourt Children's
Release Date: March 7, 2011
ARC: 293 pages
Genre: Young Adult - Historical Fiction
Buy: Amazon
Read it in: 5 days
Source: Own
Challenge: Off the Shelf, TBR PileABC Reading,
Rating: Photobucket
Shelf WorthyRecommendTo learn more about my rating badges, click here!
It’s the summer of 1889, and Amelia van den Broek is new to Baltimore and eager to take in all the pleasures the city has to offer. But her gaiety is interrupted by disturbing, dreamlike visions she has only at sunset—visions that offer glimpses of the future. Soon, friends and strangers alike call on Amelia to hear her prophecies. However, a forbidden romance with Nathaniel, an artist, threatens the new life Amelia is building in Baltimore. This enigmatic young man is keeping secrets of his own—still, Amelia finds herself irrepressibly drawn to him. When one of her darkest visions comes to pass, Amelia’s world is thrown into chaos. And those around her begin to wonder if she’s not the seer of dark portents, but the cause. 
Although I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, and I really liked it, but I didn't love it. It is definitely a very intriguing book, but it wasn't one that I'm very excited to say, "OMG, this was amazing!". I find this book very hard to review and definitely very hard to rate. I was stuck in between rating is 3 and 4 stars, so maybe this book is really a 3.5.

The plotline was very intriguing. A historical romance with a twist of something that is paranormal. The main character, Amelia, can see into the future at sunset; or as she calls them, Vespers. I found it kind of confusing at times, because it would show her in Baltimore with Zora, but then it would switch--forward?--to her back with her brother, August, and her being ruined. It was confusing, but then in the end I think I got it.

But the characters were really interesting. I liked Amelia and Zora, though half the time I was like, "Go get Nathanial and Thomas already!!" but with their society, they couldn't exactly do that. That would suck living in their time! But at the same time, it's so romantic!

Nathanial was kind of weird. He was there, and then he was gone, POOF! Which was explained after a little while, but I never really understood how he did that. Another paranormal twist? I really liked Thomas, though, he was sweet and proper.

Overall, it is a great historical fiction novel. Not my favorite, but fun to read and very intriguing. I'm currently a chapter into the sequel now! I'm glad to be back in their world. I hope my review helped, though it was short and I couldn't really describe much! =)

The sequel is called The Springsweet. It was released on April 17, 2012. 


2 comments:

  1. I really didn't like the paranormal aspect. I think if it had been more of a historical, it would have been more appealing to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your opinion. =) I think it would of been a lot better if it didn't have it at all, but I did like it. If that makes sense... lol The sequel is much better! =) Have you read it?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...