Jan 31, 2011

Books for Thought #1

A weekly meme hosted by Eleni @ La Femme Reads
She originally had this meme named 'Monday's Question of the Day', but gave it an official new name of 'Books for Thought'. Isn't that cute? 

This weeks 'Books for Thought' question is: 
How often do you read out of your comfort zone? And when you do, have you ever been pleasantly surprised with the outcome?
I don't read out of my comfort zone very often. I guess it is because I'm scared I'll pick up a book that I can't get into and then I'll feel bad for not being able to finish it. I don't believe in bad books, there is never a bad book. Just books that don't suit some people. But others would thoroughly enjoy.

But I will read out of my comfort zone if I keep seeing really good reviews on a certain book around the book world. I'll keep seeing it everywhere and see it has great reviews and I'll finally start getting curious at what all the hype about the book is.

Which recently happened to me with the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I'm not very much into dystopian novels, but when I finally got around to read the HGs I fell in love. So I think I may try out some more dystopians.

To see Eleni's 'Books for Thought' post for this week, click here.

Also, if you have a question that you would like to see as the question for 'Books for Thought', share it here and she'll give you credit.

So, what are your bookish thoughts?

7 comments:

  1. I've been reading out of my comfort zone more since I started my blog, but I still have my favourites. I also will pick something up if I see a zillion good reviews for it, and sometimes it works out well. But there are so many good books out there in my preferred genres that I don't really see a point to picking up ones that don't really interest me at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that there are no bad books. There are books that need more work and books that just aren't for some people that other people can enjoy. I try to be open-minded with books and try new things once in a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely response! It's great to see you participating in the meme, thank you for shouting me out too <3 I'm so glad you enjoy it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll read out of my comfort zone when the books in my comfort zone start to bore me. But I would be more likely to get them from a library rather than by them because I know I probably wouldn't read them a second time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley: I'm the same way. I have a super long to-read list, so a book that sounds like I may not like it, even if it has great reviews, I sometimes won't read because I need to get through my list of books that I have.

    J: Exactly. :)

    Eleni: Thank you! :) And you are welcome. I try and do that a lot so they can see the post of the hostee. :) Thanks for creating this cool feature.

    SlowReader: Yeah, I won't buy a book unless I know I'll love it, or I've already read it, or it's a book in a series that I am reading. :) So then I'll just get them from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll also make a break from my comfort zone if it gets a lot of good reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alyssa: Yeah, it's always good to break out of your comfort zone once in a while. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...