Sep 15, 2011

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
(Hex Hall, #1)
Publisher: Hyperion Children's
Release Date: March 2, 2010
Hardcover: 336
Age Group: Young Adult
Buy: Amazon  
Source: library
Challenge: A to Z, Support Your Local Library, Book Blogger Recommendation
Overall:  4 stars 
Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters. By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.


To be honest, the first time trying to read this a couple of months ago didn't work out. I couldn't get into it. This time I could and boy did I like this book! It was a great start to a series and I really wish I would have swiped Demonglass, Hex Hall's sequel, when I had the chance because now I'm regretting that big time, wanting to know more about Sophie and what happens to her school. 

And also, hello, what happened about Archer! I mean, how can someone NOT be curious about THAT? I'm not going to say more about it than that because I don't want to spoil it for anyone. 

The writing was intriguing, I finished this book pretty fast after getting into it, and the characters were fun to read about. Even if Elodie and her gang made me incredibly mad basically every time they came into the picture, though Elodie did have her moments.

I love witches. I was a major fangirl of Charmed growing up and I still watch my seasons on DVD once in a while, I've always been fascinated with them and most other things paranormal. I guess that is one of the reasons why I wanted to get through this book so bad. Though I really don't understand why I couldn't get into it the first time, I guess because I wanted to read something else? I dunno.

But overall, I know I didn't say much about this book, other than I liked it. But I just couldn't figure out what to say about it. I really, really liked it and all the magic and awesomeness. You should definitely read it if you are a fan of witches in a school where there are also Fae, vampires and shape shifters. It made an awesome, though sometimes terrifying, pairing.

I really like the cover, I didn't understand it much at first, but if you read this book you'll understand about the reflection in the water. =)
The second book in the series is called Demonglass. It was released on March 22, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...