Oct 31, 2011

The Season, by Sarah MacLean

The Season, by Sarah MacLean
Publisher: Orchard Books
Release Date: March 1, 2009
Hardcover: 343 pages
Age Group: Young Adult
Buy: Amazon
Source: Library
Challenge: A to Z, Support Your Local Library
Rating: 4 stars


FavoriteRecommendShelf Worthy To learn more about my rating badges, click here!

Seventeen year old Lady Alexandra is strong-willed and sharp-tongued — in a house full of older brothers and their friends, she had to learn to hold her own. Not the best makings for an aristocratic lady in Regency London. Yet her mother still dreams of marrying Alex off to someone safe, respectable, and wealthy. But between ball gown fittings, dances, and dinner parties, Alex, along with her two best friends, Ella and Vivi, manages to get herself into what may be her biggest scrape yet.When the Earl of Blackmoor is mysteriously killed, Alex decides to help his son, the brooding and devilishly handsome Gavin, uncover the truth. But will Alex's heart be stolen in the process? In an adventure brimming with espionage, murder, and other clandestine affairs, who could possibly have time to worry about finding a husband? Romance abounds as this year's season begins!

I'll admit, this book was a little hard to get into. I guess because I haven't read any historical romances lately, but after a little while I found myself completely entranced. By the end of the book, I didn't want it to finish. I wanted to keep reading about Alex, Gavin, Ella, Vivi and the Stafford brothers. All the characters were so lively and funny. They were real to me. 
I've been wanting to read this book for a while, since hearing about it back in 2009 before it was released, but I just now got to it. Thanks to the A to Z challenge! I added it to my challenge list so I would finally pick it up. It's funny with me and historical fiction. Most sound good to be, especially the historical romances. Those are my favorite. It will sound good to me, and then when I get it I'll be all, "Ugh..." and procrastinate starting it. But then when I get into it and read it, I love it! Why is that? Ha! I'm weird. 
I kind of figured out who killed Gavin's dad in the beginning, but at the same time I wasn't completely sure. There were a few possibilities. But it didn't take away from the story much. I'm so happy about Gavin and Alex, and that is all I'm going to say. I love Gavin! He was such a joy to read about, plus, he was so cute!
Overall, I loved this book. I had a few issues, like not being able to get into it right away, but none that were too big. This was a great book. It had it all; great writing, mystery, romance, great characters and a lovely setting! I was able to picture everything as if I were there. Reading this has let me know I definitely need to pick up for historical romances soon. Also, I will definitely be picking up Sarah's adult series soon! 
I really like the cover as well. Really captures Alex, Vivi and Ella. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...