Nov 24, 2011

The Summer I Turned Pretty, by Jenny Han

(Summer, #1)
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Release Date: May 5th, 2009
Hardcover: 276 pages
Age Group: Young Adult
Buy: Amazon
Source: Library
Rating: 5 star rating
Belly measures her life in summers. Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad. They are the boys that Belly has known since her very first summer--they have been her brother figures, her crushes, and everything in between. But one summer, one terrible and wonderful summer, the more everything changes, the more it all ends up just the way it should have been all along.

I've heard great things about this series. I've seen them around everywhere for a while and the covers are gorgeous. Finally, after seeing the third (And I think final.)book in the series released in April, I decided I HAD to at least read the first book before 2012. And I was able to snag it from the library and I am so glad I did! 

I was sucked in right away, blowing through fifty pages before even knowing it. Though at times I got confused with going back to when she was younger, even though it showed which age and everything at the beginning of the chapter. I wonder if it was just me. It was a little annoying for a little while, but didn't really take away from the story.

Belly is a unique nickname, it really fit her character. She kind of annoyed me at times because she was a bit spoiled, selfish and a little immature (She sometimes felt younger than 15 going on 16.). I really liked Conrad and Jeremiah, they felt the realist to me. I think they were my two top favorite characters. I liked Cam as well, and Steven, but they just seemed kind of...bland to me. If you know what I mean? 

The writing flowed very well, and despite me not having a lot of reading time, I felt like I blew through the story. I can't wait to read the second book! I checked my libraries online catalog as soon as I read the last page, but they don't have a copy at my branch, it's currently being transferred between libraries. Darn! Though I am very tempted to drive to another one to pick it up....

Overall, this would be a GREAT beach read. (And someone DID read it on the beach because there was sand in the plastic cover of the library binding and water damage to the book...)I will definitely be picking this book back up in the future, maybe in the summer. =) Very cute and a fast read. Though there are some sad parts in the end, and I need the sequel as soon as possible to figure out how that ended. 
The second book in the series is called It's Not Summer Without You. It was released on April 27th, 2010. 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...