May 22, 2012

Past, Present, & Future Reads, #20



Past, Present & Future Reading Pile is a feature I do on my blog every Sunday to keep track of the books I read the week before, the book I'm currently reading, and the books I'm hoping to read in the upcoming week.

I've heard a few people tell me that this is similar to another meme, not sure what the name is. But if someone will let me know I'll definitely put up that it was inspired by whatever meme it is like. Thanks!



The Last Echo, by Kimberly Derting
(The Body Finder, #3)
Publisher: HarperCollins
Release Date: April 17, 2012
In the end, all that's left is an echo...Violet kept her morbid ability to sense dead bodies a secret from everyone except her family and her childhood-best-friend-turned-boyfriend, Jay Heaton. That is until forensic psychologist Sara Priest discovered Violet's talent and invited her to use her gift to track down murderers. Now, as she works with an eclectic group of individuals—including mysterious and dangerously attractive Rafe—it's Violet's job to help those who have been murdered by bringing their killers to justice. When Violet discovers the body of a college girl killed by "the girlfriend collector" she is determined to solve the case. But now the serial killer is on the lookout for a new "relationship" and Violet may have caught his eye....
I heart this series so much. Originally, I thought this was the last book. But then a bit before I started reading it, I saw that it was NOT the last book. I am SO happy about that. This series could go on forever, and ever, and I'd probably still be ecstatic and impatient waiting for the next installment.
 When It Happens, by Susane Colasanti
Publisher: Viking Juvenile
Release Date: May 4, 2006
At the start of her senior year in high school, Sara wants two things: to get into a top college and to find true love.Tobey also wants two things for his senior year: to win Battle of the Bands and to make Sara fall in love with him. However, a popular jock named Dave moves in on Sara first. But Tobey’s quirky wit and big blue eyes are hard for Sara to ignore. Plus, he gets the little things that matter to her. Can a slacker rock-star wannabe win the heart of a pretty class brain like Sara? Hilariously and movingly told through Tobey and Sara’s authentic voices, Susane Colasanti’s debut novel sizzles in its portrayal of two young people searching for The One.
I FINALLY read a book by Susane Colasanti. I have pretty much ALL of her books on my TBR list, but never had a chance to read them until now. I received this book as a RAK gift a while ago, and I'm really glad that it was this one because I loved it and it was her debut book. So I think I'm going to read them in order. =) Definitely going to read them all.
Lola and the Boy Next Door, by Stephanie Perkins
(Companion novel to Anna and the French Kiss.)
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Release Date: September 29, 2011
Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.
When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.
This was one of those books where I was DYING to read and would have probably sold my soul just to get a copy of it and when  I finally did get a copy of it, I let it sit on my shelf for months and months because I was saving it for a time in need. When really all I wanted to do as soon as I got it was dive into it and devour it. I'm really glad I finally read it because it was amazing, but at the same time I'm mad because it's over with and I don't have the next companion novel and currently it says it doesn't come out until 2013. Boo!!

Total: 3 (Yay for the Bout of Books Read-a-Thon!)


Someone Else's Life, by Katie Dale
Publisher: Random House
Release Date: February 14, 2012
When 17-year-old Rosie's mother, Trudie, dies from Huntington's Disease, her pain is intensified by the knowledge that she has a fifty percent chance of inheriting the crippling disease herself. Only when Rosie tells her mother's best friend, "Aunt Sarah," that she is going to test for the disease does Sarah, a midwife, reveal that Trudie wasn't her real mother after all. Rosie was swapped at birth with a sickly baby who was destined to die.Devastated, Rosie decides to trace her real mother, joining her ex-boyfriend on his gap year travels, to find her birth mother in California. But all does not go as planned. As Rosie discovers yet more of her family's deeply buried secrets and lies, she is left with an agonizing decision of her own, one which will be the most heart breaking and far-reaching of all.
This was the last book I started for the Bout of Books read-a-thon, but I only got about 15 pages into it at the time. I'm currently about 50 pages in now. So I hope to finish it soon. =) So far it's pretty interesting. Very intriguing.

Wither, by Lauren DeStefano
(The Chemical Garden, #1)
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Release Date: March 22, 2011
By age sixteen, Rhine Ellery has four years left to live. She can thank modern science for this genetic time bomb. A botched effort to create a perfect race has left all males with a lifespan of 25 years, and females with a lifespan of 20 years. Geneticists are seeking a miracle antidote to restore the human race, desperate orphans crowd the population, crime and poverty have skyrocketed, and young girls are being kidnapped and sold as polygamous brides to bear more children. When Rhine is kidnapped and sold as a bride, she vows to do all she can to escape. Her husband, Linden, is hopelessly in love with her, and Rhine can’t bring herself to hate him as much as she’d like to. He opens her to a magical world of wealth and illusion she never thought existed, and it almost makes it possible to ignore the clock ticking away her short life. But Rhine quickly learns that not everything in her new husband’s strange world is what it seems. Her father-in-law, an eccentric doctor bent on finding the antidote, is hoarding corpses in the basement. Her fellow sister wives are to be trusted one day and feared the next, and Rhine is desperate to communicate to her twin brother that she is safe and alive. Will Rhine be able to escape--before her time runs out?Together with one of Linden's servants, Gabriel, Rhine attempts to escape just before her seventeenth birthday. But in a world that continues to spiral into anarchy, is there any hope for freedom?
I've been dying to read this book for a while, but just haven't had the chance to. So after I finish Someone Else's Life, I'm going to dive into Wither. Finally!

Sorry this is late guys! Blogger was acting up when I was already late trying to do this Sunday night. But I hope you guys had an awesome week and weekend and that you have an awesome week this week as well.

So guys, as I always ask, what did you read last week? What are you currently reading? What's next on your TBR list? Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...